Tuesday, January 17, 2012

God of the ordinary day

Do you ever wonder where God is in the day to day routine? I think sometimes I just need to stop and look and then I see His marvelous work before my eyes. Like this morning:

As I feed baby Anna this morning, I sat watching Davey do his morning job of clearing the breakfast table. I watch as he systematically takes the plates off, going around carefully removing each fork (so not to throw it away) and stacking each plate on top of each other. He stops at my place, and politely asks, "mom, are you done with your food?" I think how far his speech and vocabulary have come. He not only spoke in a complete sentence, but clearly knew what he wanted to say and what answer he should listen to hear. I respond that yes I am done. I watch to see what he will do next, will he eat my food or clear it off and throw it away (as he is suppose to). Without hesitation, he adds the dirty plate to the stack. With a little bounce in his step (always a bounce in his step) he joyfully takes the stack to the trash. As he returns to the table, he smiles at Stephen and includes him in his little chore. He tells, Steve that he can dump the water from the cups into the pitcher. Stephen is excited to be able to help. All the while, Davey continues to do his job now again systematically removing each fork. He moves round and round the large table, and picks up each fork and adds it to his pile in his hand. This again amazes me, as I see he is able to hold all of them in his hand with a tight grip and none falling out. His hand coordination and muscle control has improved so much. Again he bounces into the kitchen and deposits the forks in the sink. Bouncing back to the table, he continues to talk with Steve in a happy easy going way. He tells Steve he has to take the cups now. He again begins circling the table stacking each cup into each other, and takes them to the kitchen. Upon returning to the table he gently tells Steve, he has to take the water pitchers to the sink. Stephen reluctantly gives them up, and Davey takes them to the kitchen. He returns to the table for one last pass, he takes the left over food carefully to the kitchen, and places each thing either on the cupboard, in the trash, or in the fridge as it should be. I sit and marvel at all that he just did. Without any assistant at all he completely cleared the table, included his younger brother in his task, and politely considered my needs, and all without complaint.
Now, if only tomorrow or even later today when he is not being so compliant, i can remember this moment, and the amazing gift he is to me. God truly has showed his power in this little guys life, and I feel privileged to be able to witness such a miracle.
I pray that I never forget to appreciate the miracle God has done in my children's lives and in mine because of them. I pray to that my friends and family know God's presence in their lives each ordinary day.
Psalms 73:25-28
25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 27 For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. 28 But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works.

1 comment:

  1. Children are a blessing from the Lord. thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete