Friday, November 8, 2013

My Purity Pledge by Lydia

Sunday, November 3, 2013 Lydia Lucinda Hirn turned fifteen.  So in Hirn tradition she received her purity ring and gave her purity pledge.  Below is her pledge.  She also sang one of her original songs with her pledge.  The link to her song is at the end of the post.  Her father and I are so proud of the woman she is growing into.
 Lydia's pledge:

Purity to me is: clean, freedom from guilt, honor



Today, I am committing myself to remain pure until I get married. In order to stay pure, I must guard my heart, eyes, mind, and body from any sexual impurity. It says in Proverbs 4:23, “Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flows the springs of life.” And in Romans 6:13 it says, “The body is not for immorality, but for the LORD, and the LORD is for the body.” Also in Romans 12:2, “ And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” The last verse I want to share is in Matthew 6:22, “The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if the eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.”



All these verse talk about my eyes, heart, mind, and body. I must protect my eyes by not looking at impure things, and instead looking at the Bible. I must guard my heart by feeding it good stuff by studying God's Word. I need to keep my mind pure by making good things go into it. I can copy the Bible, because the things in it are crazy good! I need to commit my body to God and honor Him. I can take care of my body and do things that please Him.



My parents are giving me a ring to remind me of my decision to honor God and stay pure. Every time I see my ring, I will remember that God and my family love me, and I should not make decisions that hurt God, my family, or myself. Another verse I find encouraging is 1 Timothy 4:12, “ Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.” This verse is talking about how I talk, how I act, how I love, how my attitude is, how I trust in God, and how I stay pure. I know I want to be a good example to others. I am going to be careful who I hang out with, because friends can influence my choices towards purity. I am making this pledge in front of you, so that you can keep me accountable. If I ever go down a wrong path, I know I can come to my family for help. So please keep me accountable. I believe God made sex good, but it is only good between a husband and wife. So today, in Honor of God, my family, and my future spouse, I commit my life to sexual purity.


Lydia singing one of her own songs

No comments:

Post a Comment