Monday, August 5, 2013

Creating Disciples or Drama?


So these last couple of weeks our senior pastor has being preaching on Mark chapter 13. This is an awesome passage of scripture that happens to be mistaught often. So, it has been a real pleasure to listen to Pastor Bob, simply proclaim the truth of what this passage is saying. During these same few weeks, the Lord has been working on my heart in many areas. One of those areas happens to be in regards to being Torah observant. You see our family isn't 100% Torah Observant, but we are definitely what I call Torah Aware. After studying the Torah in depth as a family we came to realize that what is written in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.)is true for us today. So, we decided to start seeking truth from all of God's Word. As we began our journey, we became involved in a new community of believers. The Messianic group of believers, Torah Followers. This new group of people came on strong. They had a desire to find righteousness and live it. It was inspiring, encouraging, and overwhelming to learn and grow with these people.

Soon we found ourselves confused and even unsure of how our lives should be lived in light of this new discovery of applying all scripture to our lives. Every time, I became confused or overwhelmed the Lord would show me in His word that He was with me and would guide us every step of the way. Often he would take me back to the book of Romans and remind me that obedient living was only found in abiding in Christ alone. That it would not be my works, but the work of Christ in me that would bring forth true righteousness.

So, I journey on in obedience as best I can. I find myself noticing everything around me in a new way. Everyone seems to be on a mission, have a cause. Often they are good and maybe even righteous causes, but I wonder is this or that something I should be concerned with. (Causes like abortion, homosexuality, living according to Old testament law, awareness of body identity, etc, etc. ) But as everyone is shouting and calling for their cause to be heard, all I can hear is the LORD saying , “Go and make disciples of all nation.” What do all these causes have to do with making disciples? I wonder to myself have I forgot what is most important? Have I got caught up in worrying about all the wrong things?

Then yesterday Pastor Bob, preached on this verse in Mark 13:10, “The gospel must first be preached to all the nations.” Jesus is speaking to his disciples and telling them that He will not return until all the people groups of the world have heard of Him. Pastor Bob used this one verse to remind me that our first calling as believers, disciples, is to make more disciples. Jesus final words to his followers wasn't to be separate from the world, but it was the exact opposite. It was, “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

As we left church, I said to Jeremy that I was starting to realize what God was trying to tell me. It is good to want to live a right life, but more than that I need to be about spreading truth to others. As I was thinking on that yesterday afternoon, I happened to read two wonderful articles in a magazine I get call Messiah Magazine. The first was about how the Messianic Gentile movement has forgotten about evangelism, and how to truly follow Christ we must not forget to evangelize. The second was about how to evangelize without using fear or shame, but through building relationships. I loved that right when I was wondering how God wanted me to apply what He was showing me through his word, he gave me some clear answers.

You see making disciples is more than just sharing the Gospel message. Making disciples is a life investment. Jesus didn't just touch the people and move on, no he invested in his disciples lives. He taught them how to live truly righteous lives through His power. So whom should I be investing in? Of course, the first and most obvious answer is those whom I share daily life with. As I live day to day with my husband and children, it is my job not only to live the gospel, but to help them grow as disciples of Christ. Next of course, is those in my church body. I am to grow together with them in faith and mature together as disciples of Christ. But what about the lost, those nations that haven't heard? IS it my job to reach them? The answer is yes. Does that mean I should get my bags packed and get on a plane? No. That is not the calling God has for me, but I can get on my knees daily for those people. I can have less, to give more to those who are called to go make disciples in remote areas of the world. I can raise children whom God may call to preach and teach His word far and abroad.

So, I can't say I have it all figured out, but I have realized something these past weeks. I have come to realize that yes God wants me to read, study, and live His Word, all of it. He wants me to be obedient to His commands, all of them. He wants to use me to make disciples of Him. How awesome is that? I am so glad that God wants me, wants to use me, and wants to transform me into the woman He intends for me to be. I am grateful that if I seek Him he will discipline me, guide me, correct me, and mold me into just that woman. Though my flesh is weak, He is strong and will do just as He set out to do. My prayer is that you to will know that you can do all things through Christ as well.

Blessings in Christ Jesus!











No comments:

Post a Comment