Thursday, June 6, 2013

Extra curricular and unit studies (Final post How do you homeschool?)

Do you do extra curricular activities or other subjects?



Music, art, and physical activities:

We touch on these extras with the little ones in morning worship and in group family work out (20 minutes) after dinner each night.



image
Independent interest in music and art are encouraged with private lessons for students who spend a minimum of one hour a day practicing their skills without being reminded. We believe if a child is truly interested in doing something they need to show that interest before private lessons are paid for. We require all our students to study music for one year at age ten(usually we do this through HSMA). If they want to continue to study music, they must work on it without being forced to do so. If after one year they do not have an interest in it, then they are encouraged to try other things.







Sports are also only paid for if a student actively works on their own to show dedication and commitment. They must make an extra effort daily to show commitment beyond what their coach or team expects.





Independent Bible study is required of all high school students: They must do a personal study on their own and turn in weekly proof that they are doing that study. Proof can be outlines, journals, memory work, timeline, or other projects they choose.



Do you do unit studies?

Often we will do unit studies.  This year we are celebrating the Old testament Jewish holidays.  So, as each one approaches we stop our regular Bible studies, and focus in on the study of the holiday and it's meaning. 
For a couple years we did KONOS.  I still have all my KONOS and use them for resource and reference.  Great materials.
  
Another thing we do is one on one studies with the kids if we see they need it, or we may do small group studies with them.  An example of a one on one study is our Purity Study.  You can read  Daniel's purity post and Rachel's purity post.  Another example of a small group study is, I am currently doing a Woman of God Bible Study with my four oldest girls.

Currently I have started teaching the girls on Wednesday at 1 pm Biblical Womanhood. I am making up the material as I go, but using information for these ladies materials and others.

Time Warp Wife, this is currently my favorite blogger, I read every post she writes.  She is very encouraging.

Anne Elliot, has become one of my very best friends, even though we have never met in person, she is a real woman of God.

Proverbs 31, this ministry has been around since the beginning of the Internet, and has been a great resource for me as a woman.

Titus 2, another great site that I have benefited from for several years.

No greater Joy Ministry, great resource.

So, that is a brief write up of what we use and do for schooling at the Hirn house.  But, there is so much more than school books to what we believe is important in educating our children.  As I have said in older posts, our desire to raise Kingdom Builders for Christ is what motivates us to keep our children home and educated them differently than most people.  It is this same belief that motivates us to influence other families to raise their families in  a Godly way.  This does NOT mean that you have to homeschool.  It is our greatest desire through this blog and mentoring to help parents realize that they can and should train up their children in the Word of God. You can do this in many ways.  Next week I will try and address vital elements of a Godly Home. 
In the meantime, I want to say that a majority of our day is spent in life skills training.  Yes, I am talking about chores.  Chores and family responsibilities are a top priority in our day.  Recently, someone asked me about such things, and I wrote about it in a blog titled, Am I My brothers Keeper.



 I realize I did not touch on topics like field trips, outings, and such.  We do enjoy field trips big and small.  We always feel blessed when  a friend or family gifts us with membership passes to the zoo, science museum, etc.  We use them to the max.  We also love a day trip to a local farm, farmers market, local park, grandma's pool, etc. 


I hope this gives you some insight to what we use to do school.  I do have several different curriculum in my library, some even for sale, if any local readers want to come and visit and ask questions.  I am glad to help.  I do not think my way is the only way, but it works for us. 
 









1 comment:

  1. We Love doing Unit Studies! In fact, we are currently in the middle of a Summer themed one. As far as "extra's"? We have yet to teach Music (thinking maybe next year I may sign the kids up for Piano), but my kids love Art. Besides Crafts, we use an Art Curriculum http://www.time4learning.com/art_lessons_online.shtml <~ This is the link for anyone who may be interested.
    Besides that my children also play Soft & Base Ball & Soccer.

    ~> I enjoyed reading your post today :)

    -Cheryl Langston

    ReplyDelete